20 Wonderful Benefits of Strawberries for Skin, Hair and Health – Strawberries are delicious, hence they are a popular fruit across the globe to be used for desserts. However, these conical shaped beauties come loaded with nutritional benefits for us, and that’s what we are going to discuss here in this article. You are going to learn about the amazing benefits of strawberries for our beauty and health here. Strawberries are a great source of anti oxidants. These fruits are known for their lovely shape, bright red color, sweet-sour taste and their unique aroma. Thought to be originated in France, today strawberries are probably the most popular berries worldwide. And for all the right reasons! To know more, keep on reading the wonderful benefits of strawberries for skin, hair and health.
A Brief History about Strawberries
The ‘garden strawberry’, or the plain strawberry is actually a widely grown hybrid species from the genus ‘Fragaria’. Scientifically known as Fragaria × ananassa, strawberries are technically not berries. According to wikipedia, strawberries are a type of ‘aggregate accessory fruit’, meaning the fleshy part of the fruit is not derived from the plant ovaries, instead the each visible seed on the outside of the fruit is actually one of the ovaries of the flower.
The word ‘strawberry’ was derived from the Old English word streawberige, because the plant sends out runners which are similar to the pieces of straw. Strawberries are actually native to North America. Records suggest that the first colonists in America shipped larger strawberry plants back to Europe as early as 1600. Strawberries were there like forever, but the active cultivation didn’t begin until the Renaissance period in Europe. Since strawberries were grown aplenty in the wilds, early Americans did not bother cultivating them separately.
Strawberry Nutritional Value
- Energy – 32 Kcal – 1.5% RDA
- Carbohydrates – 7.7 g – 6% RDA
- Protein – 0.67 g – 0.1% RDA
- Total Fat – 0.30 g – 1% RDA
- Cholesterol – 0 mg – 0% RDA
- Dietary Fiber – 2.0 g – 5% RDA
- Folates – 24 µg – 6% RDA
- Niacin – 0.386 mg – 2.5% RDA
- Pantothenic acid – 0.125 mg – 2.5% RDA
- Pyridoxine – 0.047 mg – 3.5% RDA
- Vitamin A – 12 IU – 0.5% RDA
- Vitamin C – 58.8 mg – 98% RDA
- Riboflavin – 0.022 mg – 2% RDA
- Vitamin E – 0.29 mg – 2% RDA
- Vitamin K – 2.2 µg – 2% RDA
- Sodium – 1 mg – 0% RDA
- Potassium – 153 mg – 3% RDA
- Calcium – 16 mg – 1.6% RDA
- Iron – 0.41 mg 5% RDA
- Magnesium – 13 mg – 3% RDA
- Manganese – 0.386 mg – 17% RDA
- Zinc – 0.14 mg – 1% RDA
- Carotene-ß – 7 µg
- Lutein-zeaxanthin – 26 µg
These was a brief discussion on the history of strawberries along with its nutritional values. Let us begin with the best benefits of strawberries for our skin, hair and health now.
Benefits of Strawberries for Skin
1. Anti Acne Benefits of Strawberries
Strawberries are amazing at fighting off acne. The most common cause of acne is the clogging of our skin pores by dirt, impurities, excess oil, etc. Strawberry helps with unclogging the pores. When used topically, the coarse texture of mashed strawberries physically exfoliate the skin and unblock the pores. Furthermore, the AHAs present in strawberries provide chemical exfoliation and deeply cleanse the skin. Along with these, vitamin C, salicylic acid, flavonoids, etc in strawberries help to get rid of acne and give clear skin. The acidic nature of strawberry helps in removing excess oil from the skin, which also helps with acne treatment.
How to use strawberry in acne treatment?
- Take 7-8 fresh strawberries and mash them in a blender. Add a tbsp mink to that and mix together. Apply this on the face and gently massage for a minute. Wait for another 10-15 minutes and rinse off. Repeat regularly.
- Mash 3-4 fresh strawberries and add a tbsp each of lemon grass powder and honey to that. Mix well and apply the face pack all over the face. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then remove by gently scrubbing the face. Repeat twice in a week.
- Blend together 5-6 ripe papaya chunks, 3-4 fresh strawberries and a tsp of fresh lemon juice. Once you get a smooth paste, apply an even layer of the same on the face. Massage in circular motion and then let it sit on the skin for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with fresh water. Repeat 2-3 times per week.
2. Anti Aging Benefits of Strawberries
This is another amazing beauty Benefits of Strawberries. Strawberries contain ellagic acid, which is an anti oxidant. It helps to prevent collagen destruction. Collagen is important to keep the skin smooth and firm and lack of this results in wrinkle formation. Also ellagic acid has photoprotective benefits, which meas it helps in protecting our skin against UV damage. A research done by a university in Korea showed that the mice who were exposed to UV rays after being given ellagic acid treatment showed less wrinkle formation than those who were not given this treatment before sun exposure. Along with this, strawberries contain vitamin C, which is also a powerful anti oxidant and helps in preventing the free radicals from doing damage to our body cells.
How to use strawberries for anti aging?
- Mash few fresh strawberries and add a tsp honey and two tsp milk cream to that. Mix together and apply the face pack on the face and neck. Massage gently for couple of minutes and wait for another 20 minutes before washing off. Repeat regularly.
- Alternatively, you can add two tsp each of yogurt and honey with 2-3 mashed strawberries. Mix together and apply the mixture all over the face and neck. Massage a little and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Rinse it off with luke warm water. Do this twice weekly.
3. Skin Whitening Benefits of Strawberries
Strawberries are extremely effective in boosting our complexion. It is a great source of vitamin C, which is a powerful anti oxidant and helps with brightening up our complexion. It stops free radicals from doing any damage to our body cells and keep us away from premature aging, acne, skin darkening, etc. Strawberries also contain folic acid, which supports cell regeneration and production of new cells in our bodies, thus improving our complexion. Furthermore, omega-3 fatty acids in strawberry lighten and brighten our complexion.
How to use strawberries for skin whitening?
- Mash 2 -3 fresh strawberries and add a tsp each of baking soda and lemon juice to the mashed strawberries. Mix them well and apply it on your face. Massage gently and leave it on for another 5-7 minutes. Rinse it off. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Prepare strawberry pulp by blending a few fresh strawberries. Add a tbsp of cocoa powder and a tsp honey to the strawberry pulp and mix the ingredients well. Apply the face mask all over the face and neck. Leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes and wash off with fresh water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
- Blend together 5-6 fresh strawberries, 1 kiwi fruit and half peeled cucumber. Take it out and pour it in a bowl. You can add some oatmeal powder, if the mixture becomes too watery. Apply it on the face and neck. Gently massage the skin and keep it on for 5-10 minutes. Wash off with fresh water. Repeat once or twice in a week.
4. Skin Cleansing Benefits of Strawberries
Strawberries are excellent skin cleanser. Being acidic in nature, strawberries help to remove excess oil from the skin. Also it contains vitamin C, which is an astringent in nature. This astringent benefits of strawberries helps in keeping the skin oil free. It is also a source of salicylic acid. Salicylic acid exfoliates the skin and removes the dead skin cells and other impurities from the top layer of the skin. Topical application of strawberries is extremely effective in removing impurities from our skin and keeping the skin clean and clear.
How to use strawberry for skin cleansing?
Mash a few fresh strawberries and apply that directly on the skin. Massage gently in circular motion for few minutes and wash off. Alternatively, you can use strawberry juice on the skin to clean it from deep within. Regular application gives soft, clean and smooth skin.
5. Gives Relief from Dark Circles
Here comes another great beauty benefits of strawberries. Anything with good amount of vitamin C helps to get rid of dark circles. Strawberries also contain a high amount of vitamin C, which helps in diminishing the dark circles effectively. The fruit also comes handy in treating puffy eyes.
How to use strawberries to get rid of dark circles?
- Cut a few thin slices of strawberry and place them under the eyes. Let them stay for 10-15 minutes and then remove and wash the face. Do this everyday.
- Blend together few potato cubes, a strawberry and few drops of honey. Apply the mixture under the eyes and relax for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off with fresh water. Repeat regularly.
6. Good for Our Nails
Many of us do not know it, but strawberries are very beneficial in keeping our nails healthy. Strawberries contain biotin. Biotin helps in improving the formation of keratin, which in turn results in healthy nail growth. Additionally, vitamin C and folic acid present in strawberries also help in improving our nail health. Regular consumption of strawberries are found to be beneficial in boosting our nail health.
After discussing the skin benefits of strawberries, lets now find out what are the benefits of strawberries for our hair.
Benefits of Strawberries for Hair
7. Prevent Hair Fall
This is one of the main strawberry benefits for our hair. Strawberries contain ellagic acid, folic acid, vitamin B as well as vitamin C in it, all of which prevent hair thinning and hair fall. Vitamin C in strawberries encourages iron absorption and iron is one of the most important minerals for hair growth. Also strawberries contain silica, another important mineral, which prevents baldness as well as boosts hair growth. Studies have shown that regular consumption of strawberry is very effective in delaying Androgenetic Alopecia, which is a male pattern hair loss problem and it affects millions of people all over the world.
8. Anti Dandruff Benefits of Strawberries
Strawberries are amazing to fight off dandruff. The high amount of vitamin C is responsible for this. Vitamin C boosts our immunity and treats dandruff that is caused by immunity problem. Strawberries are rich in magnesium, which help in stopping fungal growth on the scalp and helps with dandruff treatment. Exfoliation is very important for dandruff prone scalp. The exfoliating benefits of strawberries help in removing dead skin cells from the scalp and keep it healthy and clean.
How to use strawberries to fight off dandruff?
Mash 6-8 strawberries (depending on the length and volume of your hair), and add a tablespoon each of coconut oil and honey. Mix together until a smooth paste is formed. Apply the mixture onto the scalp and damp hair. Massage your hair roots gently and then rinse off. Repeat regularly.
9. Work as a Hair Moisturizer
Strawberries work excellently as a natural hair moisturizer. It protects the cells of our scalp from any external damage, thanks to its anti oxidant properties. It prevents formation of hydrophobic layer on the cell membranes of our scalp and thus help in keeping the scalp moisturized. Regular application of strawberries adds a shine to the hair and makes them silky as well.
How to use strawberry as a hair moisturizer?
- Combine an egg yolk with 3-4 mashed strawberries. Apply the mixture onto the hair. Keep it on for 30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat regularly.
- Alternatively, add a tbsp mayonnaise to 4-5 mashed strawberries. Mix together to form a paste. Apply the paste to your scalp and hair and leave it on for 20-30 minutes. Wash off.
These were the main benefits of strawberries for our skin and hair. Below we are going to discuss the must know benefits of strawberries for our health.
Benefits of Strawberries for Health
10. Good for Our Heart
The cute, little heart shape of the strawberries is a good enough hint that it’s going to be good for our heart. Well, strawberries are actually great to keep our heart healthy. The fruit comes loaded with anti oxidants and polyphenols, which is the main reason why strawberry is so effective from keeping our heart safe from ailments. Strawberries contain anthocyanins, which are anti oxidant compounds and they give strawberries its bright red color. Anthocyanins are extremely beneficial for keeping our heart healthy. The high levels of anthocyanins help in relaxing the blood vessels, which improve blood flow and prevent cardiovascular problems. Additionally, the high fiber content, vitamin C as well as folate in strawberries work together to reduce cholesterol in the arteries and vessels. Experts have found that consuming three or more servings of strawberries every week can reduce the chance of heart attacks by one-third among women.
11. Control Blood Sugar Levels
Not only a heart friendly fruit, but strawberries are extremely beneficial in regulating our blood sugar levels. The ellagic acid in strawberries, along with its anti oxidant compounds help in slowing down the digestion process of a starchy meal, which in turn, controls the sudden rise of blood sugar levels post a starchy meal. This is why, strawberries are considered beneficial for diabetics, specially those with type 2 diabetes. Though it tastes sweet (with a hint of sourness), but having low glycemic level indicates that strawberries are unlikely to cause sugar spikes when taken by those affected with diabetes. Furthermore, the fiber content of strawberries also help with controlling blood sugar levels.
12. Boost Brain Functionality
Here comes another super important health benefits of strawberries. Strawberries are rich in iodine, vitamin C as well as phytochemicals which are extremely beneficial in maintaining the proper functioning of the nervous system. Strawberries contain potassium as well, which help in better blood flow to the brain and improves cognitive function. Furthermore, researches have shown that higher consumption of flavonoids is beneficial in reducing rates of cognitive decline among older people.
13. Good for the Eyes
Strawberries are good for our eyes too. Regular consumption of strawberries can prevent a number of eye conditions, such as dry eyes, macular degeneration, defects in vision, degeneration of optic nerves as well as increased susceptibility to various infections. Studies done by experts have shown that the high amount of anti oxidants present in strawberries, such as flavonoids, phenolic phytochemicals, and ellagic acid, are extremely beneficial to avoid almost all eye problems by neutralizing the free radicals. Another way, strawberries maintain our eye health is by fixing the disturbance in ocular pressure (the pressure in the eyes), and this benefits of strawberries can be attributed to the presence of potassium, which is a vital nutrient in maintaining the correct pressure.
14. Help in Fighting Off Cancer
Strawberries, being extremely rich in anti oxidants, help to fight off cancer. Moreover, strawberries contain large amount of vitamin C as well as fiber, both of which have been found beneficial to treat cancers of esophagus and colon. According to the American Institute of Cancer Research, the anti cancer benefits of strawberries can be attributed to the presence of ellagic acid. Ellagic acid is an anti oxidant compound which can prevent cancers of the skin, lung, bladder as well as breast. Being an anti oxidant, it helps in slowing down the growth of cancer cells, while also helping the body to destroy certain types of carcinogens.
15. Helps in Losing Weight
Strawberries can help us losing weight. And the credit once again goes to ellagic acid as well as other anti oxidants. One of the main causes of weight gain is chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation actually blocks the hormones that can help you maintain your perfect weight. Strawberries are an excellent anti inflammatory agent, and that’s why, it helps in restoring the functionalities of weight reducing hormones and help you look lean. Along with this, anthocyanins also play active roles in helping you losing extra fats. Anthocyanins help in boosting a hormone production known as adiponectin , which is responsible for promoting metabolism and increased fat burning.
16. Can Treat Arthritis
Strawberries are beneficial for arthritis patients as well. The fruits are rich in anti oxidants and detoxifiers which explains why strawberries are effective in treating arthritis. Regular consumption of strawberries help in reducing arthritis pain. Also, they help in preventing certain arthritic symptoms, including degeneration of muscles and tissues, drying up of the lubricating fluids in the joints as well as accumulation of toxic substances and uric acid in the body.
17. Strawberries are Good for Pregnant Ladies
This is a massive strawberry benefits for our health. Strawberries have been found to be beneficial for safe and healthy pregnancy. The reason being, strawberries are high in folate. A cup of raw strawberries can provide about 10% of the daily requirement of folate. Researches suggest that folate is very important during pregnancy because not only it can prevent birth defects, but this nutrient also ensures optimal health of the pregnant women.
18. Helps in Lowering Cholesterol
Strawberries have positive effect in lowering our cholesterol levels. The fruit contains ‘pectin’, which is a type of soluble fiber and it helps in lowering the LDL or bad cholesterol level in the body. A research done on 23 healthy volunteers has shown that consuming 500 gm of strawberries on regular basis for a month has helped to reduce the LDL cholesterol level.
19. Immunity Booster
Strawberries work great as an immunity booster. This fruit is an excellent source of vitamin C. In fact, strawberries contain more amount of vitamin C than orange. Vitamin C can trigger immune boosting antibodies which help in making our body more resistant to infections, and keep us healthy. According to the findings in a Switzerland study, vitamin C has the ability to improve various components of our immunity system.
20. Reduce Inflammation
Strawberries have the ability to reduce inflammation. It does so by reducing the elevated blood levels of C-reactive protein, which is produced by the liver and trigger inflammation in our body. According to a study done by Harvard School of Public Health, women who ate more than 16 strawberries in a week were found to have 14% less chance to have elevated C-reactive protein levels.
These were top 20 wonderful benefits of strawberries for our skin, hair and health. Let us know how this article has helped you.